CJE and MJE certification

Feb. 1 is the certification application deadline for advisers who would like to be tested or recognized at the spring convention.

Goals of the Certification Committee

1. To promote professionalism in scholastic journalism.
  2. To offer national certification to scholastic journalism teachers and advisers.
  3. To designate as master teachers educators whose experience and expertise make them outstanding professionals.
  4. To recognize educators who possess the education or experience to teach scholastic journalism and advise student publications.
  5. To encourage those who are teaching scholastic journalism or advising student publications without an adequate background to increase their knowledge of journalism and to provide a model for their continuing education.
  6. To increase the availability of courses and workshops appropriate for the scholastic journalism teacher and adviser.
  7. To provide model certification requirements for scholastic journalism teachers in states that do not offer licensing in this field.
  8. To improve public and school district perceptions of certified scholastic journalism teachers as professionals.

If you have further questions, please contact Certification Chair, Kim Green at [email protected] or Pam Boller at JEA Headquarters office [email protected], 785-532-5532.