Teachers encouraged to apply for Dow Jones News Fund awards

Dow Jones News Fund

The Dow Jones News Fund invites high school journalism teachers and media advisers to apply for its National High School Journalism Teacher of the Year Awards by July 9, 2016.

Are you advising a high school newspaper or news site? Do you teach students how to produce innovative digital content, tell compelling stories or practice journalism? Are you a staunch supporter of student press rights?

If so, apply or encourage a colleague or teacher to apply for the 2016 Dow Jones News Fund National High School Journalism Teacher of the Year Awards, co-sponsored by The Wall Street Journal, Poynter Institute for Media Studies and the Columbia Scholastic Press Association.

The Teacher of the Year Awards honors teachers who are teaching the latest digital journalism techniques or media advisers who mentor their students to produce award-winning print and online news media while safeguarding their First Amendment rights.

If you have taught or advised high school media for at least three years and plan to continue in the 2016-2017 school year, we encourage you to apply.

The Teacher of the Year Award recipients will be selected by leaders of high school and college journalism organizations, the current Teacher of the Year, and a News Fund board member. The panel evaluates each teacher’s service in journalism organizations, personal and publication awards, the quality of their students’ work and their approach to student press rights and journalistic ethics.

The winning teacher will receive a pin, a plaque, a laptop for the journalism program, and the opportunity to speak at the fall Journalism Education Association and National Scholastic Press Association convention in Indianapolis, the CSPA spring convention in New York City and a summer conference for college journalism educators in Chicago.

The benefits include 12 free webinars from the Poynter Institute for Media Studies, a digital subscription to The Wall Street Journal, a per diem for program-related absences, a $1,000 college scholarship for a senior to pursue journalism in college.

The News Fund will also honor four Distinguished Advisers and four Special Recognition Advisers.

To apply, click here:

DJNF Teacher of the Year