APPLY: The New York Times Teaching Project 2021-22

Apply now to join our second cohort of distinguished educators who teach with The Times. The deadline is Feb. 2, 2021.

When we accepted 60 distinguished educators into the inaugural class of The New York Times Teaching Project early last spring, we still hoped that we’d be able to run an ambitious three-day institute for them in person in July. After it became clear it would be online only, we considered canceling and delaying the whole program for a year.

We’re so glad we didn’t. Our three days together last summer — and our collaborations in the months that have followed — have been extraordinary. At a time when teachers are working in the most challenging conditions most have ever faced, the cohort bonded across disciplines and locations to offer each other both support and inspiration.

We don’t yet know what challenges 2021-22 will throw at educators, but we do know that we’re stronger together. If you’re the kind of teacher who believes in bringing the mission of The Times — helping people understand the world through on-the-ground, expert and deeply reported independent journalism — to your school community in thoughtful and creative ways, we hope you will apply to join the second cohort of the Teaching Project.

The 2021-22 program will begin with a four-day virtual institute in July 2021, during which participants will explore new ways to use The Times and The Learning Network as curriculum resources; learn more about the behind-the-scenes journalism that creates the daily paper; and begin to create their own curriculum projects that fit the needs of their students and schools.

The program continues through the 2021-22 school year as participants work on their curriculum projects, collaborate virtually, and share ideas with their fellow cohort members, their schools and the larger Learning Network community.

To help you better understand the kinds of projects that participants can design, here is a glimpse into what this year’s cohort is working on:

• a history teacher from Boston is leading a global initiative on civic responsibility;

• a photography teacher from Washington is analyzing Times images in a photojournalism unit;

• a Wisconsin English teacher is examining identity and race through Times content;

• a school librarian from North Carolina is using The Times as a mentor text in helping students learn storytelling;

• and a group of STEM teachers is tackling environmental justice through data analysis.

What else do you need to know to determine if this program is right for you? Here are important details:

• This program is open to high school and middle school librarians and teachers of all subject areas who are employed full time at an accredited school in the United States.

• All full-time teachers or school librarians — whether from private, public or parochial settings — are welcome to apply, but we will give special consideration to those working in settings that have a schoolwide Title I designation.

• If you are new to teaching with The Times and still want to apply, we welcome you, too — you just have to make a strong case for how The Times might enhance teaching and learning for your students. (And if you’re new to The Learning Network, you might read our “How to Use This Site” as well as a recent Times Insider article on our work, “How The Learning Network Transforms Classrooms Across America.”)

• The program is completely free.

Our application is open. Space is limited. If you’re interested in participating, please read the information below. To apply, click here.